Cult

The seventeenth-century scholar Girolamo Marafioti in his book called " Croniche, et antichita di Calabria " attested that Polistena was called Santa Marina; in his work he wrote "Più al basso di S. Giorgio, in the plain, we see another house in ancient times called Santa Marina, which today is called Polistina ".

In his work called " Monografia di Polistena " Domenico Valensise stated that Polistena existed already in Greek times, and that Casale Santa Marina was located between the two villages called Polistena and San Giorgio.

The origins of the cult are ancient and uncertain, but it seems to date back tothe Byzantine era, when, starting from the 8th century, during the iconoclasm of Emperor Leo III Isaurico, the Basilian monks settled there and introduced the cults of Saint Marina Vergine and the Madonna dell'Itria.

Polistena was a fiefdom of Henry VI (son of Frederick Barbarossa). Thank to Henry VI the population grew and expanded. Around 1100, by the influence of the Basilian monks, was chosen Santa Marina Virgin of Bithynia was chosen as the Patron Saint of the village.

In the most ancient coat of arms of the village of Polistena the Protectress of Polistena was depicted with a palm branch that chained a dragon. The coat of arms was in use until the early nineteenth century, a period from which it is assumed that the current one was adopted. In the copper that represents our ancient city, we notice a shield that shows the effigy of our protectress who is depicted with her feet on a dragon, holding in her right hand a palm branch. According to the Valensise these symbols were wrong because they were mistaken with the ones of Santa Margherita.

After the earthquake in 1783 the town was razed to the ground, including the Mother Church dedicated to the Saint, but some relics were fortunately recovered: an image of the Patron Saint carved in marble is steel preserved in the Cathedral, and a marble medallion depicting the Saint dressed as a monk and standing beside a child was found in the ruins of the Church of San Rocco in the early 1900s. The current Mother Church was built in 1795 in a new district, while the remains of the old Cathedral were buried and / or destroyed to build today's INPS headquarters.

The bell tower, the smaller bell called "DIN" or "Veneranda", shows the following inscription, placed in the early 1800s: "IN MONTELEONE RAFFAELE SCALAMANDRE FECE SLC / SI FUSE AT THE EXPENSE OF THE CHAPEL OF S. VENERANDA / ADMINISTRATED BY THE CANONIAN D. GIACINTO ZANGARI / MADE THE FIRST TIME TO 1094 GLUE SVVM / FIGURE OF S. MARINA VIRGIN REPEATED IN 1656 SMV "This further inscription proves that the cult of Santa Marina already existed in 1094.


prev next
  • Raffigurazione in marmo di Santa Marina
    Raffigurazione in marmo di Santa Marina Come veniva raffigurata la Santa. Opera conservata sull'Altare Maggiore del Duomo.
  • rame che rappresenta l'antica Polistena
    rame che rappresenta l'antica Polistena Paccichelli. "Regno di Napoli in prospettiva"
  • Santa Marina che raccomanda Polistena a Gesù
    Santa Marina che raccomanda Polistena a Gesù Giovanni Russo, libro del 1985 ”POLISTENA NELLE IMMAGINI DI IERI”.
  • La cacciata dal cenobbio
    La cacciata dal cenobbio Antico quadro che ornava la parete del presbiterio del Duomo. Opera di A. Pagano (1834).
  • La morte di Santa Marina
    La morte di Santa Marina Antico quadro che ornava la parete del presbiterio del Duomo. Opera di A. Pagano (1834).
  • Santa Marina con l'Immacolata
    Santa Marina con l'Immacolata Dipinto conservato nel Duomo.
  • Cacciata di Fra Marino dal Convento
    Cacciata di Fra Marino dal Convento Opera di C. Zimatore - Duomo di Polistena
  • Morte di Santa Marina
    Morte di Santa Marina Opera di C. Zimatore - Duomo di Polistena